Soy Chorizo Zucchini Tacos
Since I'm at home all alone, I went shopping to do some cooking projects. I didn't plan on this to be a fast day but I got so caught up with things that I didn't stop to eat. By the time I realized this at 9 pm, I figured it'd just be as easy to continue not to eat. This was the easiest fast day ever.
So it turns out the only meal I had was a super hearty breakfast using a Cacique Soy Chorizo. I've always been a fan of Mexican style chorizo and eggs for breakfast, it's really high in calories. One serving of Mexican chorizo has about 250 calories - a definite no go for Fast Days. By the way, I keep saying Mexican Chorizo to differentiate it from Spanish Chorizo which is a dry, cured meat versus the Mexican stuff that is more of a spiced minced product.
I tried Cacique's Soy Chorizo for the first time at a tradeshow I was working. The Cacique booth was right across from my booth. They had a pretty incredible booth with a 360° cooking station built in, celebrity chef Aaron Sanchez (who is freakin' cool as heck) doing demonstrations with their cheeses, and the best part - double padding underneath the carpet (after 10 hours of standing you notice things like that)! I was starving and the Cacique staff was generous enough to share their samples.
At first I thought the sample I got was the regular chorizo but lo and behold - soy. It tasted great and I think I liked it even more than the regular pork because it was less oily. The big Fast Day boon is that one serving is only 80 calories versus 250 calories for the regular stuff.
A retail package is about 10 ounces so there are 5 servings in total. So that means I have 4 servings in my freezer just waiting for my fast days :) This dish came together really fast and fueled me for the rest of my day.
Recipe: Soy Chorizo Zucchini Tacos - 250 calories
- 10g onions, diced (4 calories)
- 2 T water (0 calories)
- 2 tsp salt (0 calories)
- 64 g (2.25 oz) zucchini (20 calories)
- 69 g egg whites from 2 large eggs (36 calories)
- 56 g (2 oz) Cacique Soy Chorizo (80 calories)
- 2 small corn tortillas (110 calories)
- few sprigs of cilantro (0 calories)
- a few drops of hot sauce, optional (0 calories)
- In a non stick skillet on medium high heat, saute 1 T of water and onions until onions take on color. If the pan gets dry, cover with a lid to trap condensation.
- To the pan, add zucchini and remaining 1 T of water and salt. stir and cover with lid. Stir occasionally until zucchini starts to take on color.
- Pile veggies in the middle of the pan, pour egg white over veggies. Cover to cook.
- Stir in chorizo and cook on high until mixed through and no liquid remains. Turn off heat and cover.
- Under a broiler or over a hot flame char the tortillas.
- Fill, top with hot sauce if using, and enjoy!