No Mayo Carrot Salad
Carrot-palooza is still in full force over here. I was inspired by a recipe for Moroccan Grated Carrot and Beet Salad but had to do a little tweaking to make it fit my calorie requirements. The beets and raisins had to hit the road. I mistakenly upped the honey but it turned out great so I'm going to leave it that way.
This is a very easy recipe that would pair very well with any meat, especially my recipe for the Best Nem Nuong, but grilled chicken would be great too.
This would be great as a potluck salad since there is no mayo and could sit at room temperature for a long time.
I didn't have any mint handy so I tossed in a little bit of peanuts to break up the monotony of the carrots. It was delicious but really high in calories. So you can decide what garnishes to put on based how many calories you have to spare.
The only drawback to this recipe is the grating of the carrots. I hate grating - it brings back childhood memories of making Vietnamese salads for 100 people and pounds and pounds of carrots, jicama, cabbage.... *shudder* If you have a food processor with a grating attachment, now is the time to bring it out. (If you do lug that sucker out, grate some extra for carrots and jicama for an upcoming recipe for Bo Bia Spring rolls.)
The recipe calls to let the salad sit for 1 hour. I ate mine right away and it was great. Though I think it would taste more cohesive after sitting for a while.
No Mayo Carrot Salad: 0.538 calories per gram
- 379g (13.5 oz) grated carrots (155 calories)
- 0.5 tsp sweet paprika (3 calories)
- 0.25 tsp ground cumin (2 calories)
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon (1 calorie)
- pinch of table salt (0 calories)
- pinch of cayenne (1 calorie)
- 2 T lemon juice (7 calories)
- 1 T honey (64 calories)
- 2 T sliced fresh mint leaves (0.455 calories per gram)
- 1 oz crushed peanuts (5.714 calories per gram)
- Grate carrots - set aside.
- Mix paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne.
- Add lemon juice and honey to spices and mix well.
- Pour dressing over carrots. Let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Garnish and serve.