Poor Man's Bibimbap
Korean food is awesome. There is a balance between sweet, salty and spicy with seductive toasted sesame overtones that is perfection. Hospitality at Korean restaurants is phenomenal - the complimentary banchan (complimentary side dishes) can be a meal unto themselves. Korean BBQ meats (kalbi, bulgogi) usually get the spot light. One of my favorite dishes is bibimbap - a mix of white rice, bbq meat, various vegetables and a glorious spicy, sweet, smoky sauce!
Of course, what makes this dish great is also its downfall - the sauce. I had no idea that a paltry 70 grams of sauce would end up being 288 calories. TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY EIGHT - holy cow! When I did a break down of the sauce ingredients it was the sesame oil that broke the bank pushing this sauce to 4.12 calories per GRAM! At least it was delicious and filling, I was on a Feast Day, and my workout earlier that week was intense. So yeah I earned this.
Poor Man's Bibimbap: 835 calories
- 250 g Jasmine rice, cooked (256 calories)
- 148 g Spicy Pork, cooked (268 calories)
- 75 g cucumber, julienne (23 calories)
- 70 g Sauce (288 calories)
- 5 pounds pork sliced
- 1 jar Bibigo Sweet & Spicy Sauce
For the sauce:
- 2 T rice vinegar (20 calories)
- 4 T sesame oil (481 calories)
- 4 T Korean Chili Paste, gochujang (160 calories)
- 2 T sugar (98 calories)
- Marinate the pork for at least one hour but overnight is best
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce and set aside
- In a non stick skillet, sear the pork on both sides until the pork gets a nice dark color on it
- Put all the ingredients into a big deep bowl and top with desired amount of sauce
- Mix and enjoy
- If you cannot find presliced pork, you can just use cut up pork loin (or your favorite cut) and pound thin
- The Bibigo sauce is wonderful. This is the best bottled marinade I have tried. It's a bit hard ot find but at the last Fancy Food Show the CJ One/ Bibigo rep said that they did get distribution through Target (in the US). This sauce is definitely worth the hunt. The Bulgogi sauce is great too.