|mushrooms on toast - so meaty and delcious|
Mushrooms on Toast
For me, the key to Fast Days is to postpone eating my first meal as long as possible. To facilitate that strategy, I need to go to bed on an empty stomach.The next morning, I wake up not even a bit hungry. If I eat after 10 pm, I always wake up so hungry it hurts.
So after my HUGE spicy pork bimbibap dinner last night, I woke up refreshed and ready to fast.
With the help of 2 six ounce cups of brewed green tea and lots of water, I was able to hold out until early evening for my first snack (6 pm). I decided to try out a very British snack - mushrooms on toast. The recipes I've seen have basically been sauteed mushrooms and a bit of cream on toast. I wanted to save calories so I omitted the cream and added an egg white (a working out girl needs protein!). Plus, I needed to use up the last bit of cilantro yogurt dip I had laying around so I decided that would give enough creaminess.
Mushrooms on Toast: 139 calories
- 1 recipe Sauteed Mushrooms (60 calories)
- 1 slice white bread (50 calories)
- 45 g Cilantro yogurt dip (29 calories)
- 210 g baby bella or crimini mushrooms (55 calories)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (5 calories)
- Seasonings of your choice (I used cayenne, salt and pepper. I wished I had added soem garlic or at least garlic powder)
- Clean and quarter mushrooms
- Simmer mushrooms, chicken broth, and seasonings in a non-stick pan with lid on
- When the mushrooms are reduced by half and there is still liquid in the pan, pour egg whites over mushrooms to cook
- When liquid evaporates, let the mushrooms brown
- Serve with toast and top with cilantro dip